REVIEW: Skinfood Avocado Lip Balm

Hello everyone.

I've been so excited to review this stuff but I postponed it because I need better perspective regarding the effectiveness. I can’t just babble about it after one time usage because most effects come after a week or so. I had trouble with chapped lips since forever and kept on eyeing for balms that actually works. I tried sooo many lip balms but all of them gave me temporary moisturizing effect – which of course it’s not my preference. I tried hada labo’s lip balm, palmer’s cocoa butter, Avon balms, Vaseline and other brands that I can’t recall. I had never stick to any after it’s finished up except palmer’s cocoa butter because it’s better than any other balms I used (in the perspectives of getting semi-matte finishing which I love, and longer moisturizing effect).

In my verge of going green, I found out that the most important beauty products that MUST be safe for use are lippies. Lippies like lip balms and lipsticks are so closed to the mouth (because its dabbed on the lips duh? LOL) that any harmful ingredients will easily enter the body through our mouth if we are using harmful cosmetics. This awareness leads to my establishment of organic (or at least natural) lip balms hunt to replace my current lip balms - palmer's cocoa butter and hada labo lip balm. I went through various sources to identify any shops that supply organic lip balms and I decided to purchase Skinfood Avocado Lip Balm for RM28 of approximately 9 USD for 12g. I purchased this two months ago so here are the pictures after a month of usage.


Skinfood Avocado Lip Balm

The bottom tub

Ingredients and claims (I think?)

I'm sorry I forgot to take a picture of the sides to show the thickness of the tub but it is approximately 2cm thick. You can refer here for better angle of the sides of the balm. Here are the claims taken from the website itself:

"A lip balm containing extract of avocado, the most nutritious fruit. Replenish nutrients to dehydrated lips, removing dry skin. Also balances oil and moisture levels, keeping lips fresh and hydrated."

As I don't read Korean and I can't find the ingredients elsewhere, I am sorry to not provide the ingredients list here. I took the effort to ask the sales girl who assisted me during my purchase of this balm regarding the ingredients and she said they don't use harmful chemicals and that their products use natural ingredients. Although it is not organic, I gave it a go as organic lip balm is so hard to find. I never purchase any products from Skinfood before and this is my first time attempt - providing me beautiful success. I didn't expect to purchase this at first because there are so many other varieties of balms in Skinfood and I get pretty confused. The sales girl is somewhat helpful as she asked few questions and she can already identify my needs so she suggested this balm instead. Yeay her!

Product

The product itself is contained in a metal tub with screw lid. I love how vintage it looks and the gold color that catches my eyes at first glance. I don't prefer balms in a tub because it’s not hygienic as I prefer normal lipstick-like balms - the one that rolls. LOL. The balm itself is lightly scented, avocado scent of course but don't attempt to lick your lips right after dabbing it on because it tastes like you have just licked your perfume. Blergh. The balm provides semi-matte finish that I love because I don't like balms with glossy finish - I'll just simply looks like I'm trying so hard (provided that I already have thick lips to start with). Jolie-wannabe perhaps? I THINK NOT. Haha. Here's how the balm looks like.

Inside of the container

Upper finger is with a stroke of the balm, lower finger is without any balm

How I use it

Actually, I used this balm as my morning and night routine, not on when-I-need-it basis. After bath in the morning, I'll dab the balm one to two strokes on my lower lip and spreads it throughout my lips. The spreading is heavenly and so easy to glide. I will then dab another strokes before I went to bed at night. FYI, I didn't carry this balm everywhere to re-apply and I only use it twice a day, morning and night. If I were to wear makeup - lipstick to be precise, I will dab this thinly before I apply my lipstick. It’s been more than two months and the balm is still more than half full.

Effects

I have problems with chapped lips every time I have class. I am sensitive to air conditioner as I will tend to "dry" up by the end of the class. My lips will turn dry and flaky and drinking water afterwards not even helping. I often peeled my chapped lips to remove the dry skin because it’s painful to leave it there (yeah, peeling it is even worse LOL). I will often reapply my lip balm to reduce the pain but it will return after an hour or so. I also need to scrub my lips almost every day with soft facial sponge after taking my bath (because during that time, my chapped lips will loosen up and it is easier to be removed by only using soft sponge) to reduce the risk of it being chapped again. Sometimes my lips bleed during severe chapped lips moments and I had it enough.

This balm? I love it! I've been raving about this balm to all people I know because of how good it is. The first time I used this, I didn't expect much. With the fact that it is rather expensive, I assumed it due to the usage of natural ingredients - which is pretty normal within this range of price. I tried so many lip balms and noting can beat this one! I promise! Although the lasting power of this balm is not that long (after breakfast it will then be gone), the moisturizing effect remains. My lips felt so hydrated. I didn't change my water drinking routine and my eating habit during the period and my lips healed tremendously. As I mentioned earlier on how I use this balm, I don't even need to reapply. I am not saying the semi-matte finish lasts, but the hydration does! I was amazed on how my lips were still hydrated after long hours of class and I don't even need extra balms application to avoid chapped lips. I never get chapped lips since then.

To add on, I no longer need to scrub my lips often as I used to. Now I can go up to two weeks without scrubbing my lips and this is so amazing from my opinion. As for under lipstick application, my lipstick glides so smoothly and it is no longer a hassle to me. Lipstick will cause me more chapped lips if I don't use any balms underneath. I use only matte lipsticks and to glide it across my lips is a bit troublesome - especially when it is chapped. Besides that, I cannot judge if it helps in securing my lipstick color but it helps a lot in moisturizing my lips while wearing lipstick. My lips never turned dry and flaky even after long hours of lipstick usage.

My ratings:

Effectiveness: ★★★★★ (couldn't ask for more!)

Packaging: ★★★★★ (cute and unique, love it as well!)

Price: ★★★★☆ (it is rather expensive for a lip balm but it works wonder and I do so think it is worth every penny)

Long term effect: ★★★★★ (still using and the hydrating effects lasts the whole day is perfect for my preference)

Overall, I do highly highly highly recommend this lip balm to those who have problematic lips like mine. And also for those who don't drink 3 liters of water per day. LOL. I hope this review helps!

Regards


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Disclaimer

All of my reviews are from my honest and genuine personal opinions and based on my skin condition. Some older posts have no watermark until I understand the necessity to put one. I am not responsible for any opposite feedback of usage and please do seek advice from dermatologists. I bought all the products using my own money and I am not paid nor have anything to do with the brands reviewed unless stated.

It's me

Malaysian lady. I review beauty products and this blog made as a hobby. For reference purpose, I have combination to oily skin and I am living in a hot and humid country, Malaysia. Ignore my grammar and typo. Do email me for just about anything: polkalav@gmail.com