REVIEW: Tresemme Smooth Salon Silk Shampoo & Conditioner

Hello everyone.

Today I am going to review on something much different than I used to, which is hair products. Since I started to become beauty conscious, its obvious that I will improve every particular detail, although I am not a major beauty junkie. So I started to use a more expensive (but not too expensive) products to gain better results. I have long straight hair that is slightly wavy at times and I think I have oily hair. I shampoo my hair everyday because if I don't, my scalp tends to get itchy and slightly oily. Plus, my hair will be prone to breakage and hair fall if I scratch my scalp too much. I don't have problem with dandruff, split ends and I use hairdryer for like twice a year? LOL. Overall, I can say that my hair is still "virgin" and it is not damaged by coloring, perming, blowing etc. I think I need a smoother hair so I decided to use Tresemme Smooth Salon Silk Shampoo and Conditioner. I bought each of 500ml (since they don't sell smaller bottle) for RM20 of approximately 6 USD. Both bottles have the same price and quantity but they do offer a bigger bottle. I finished the shampoo earlier than the conditioner and I threw away the shampoo bottle. Here are the pictures.

Tresemme Smooth Salon Silk Shampoo

Tresemme Smooth Salon Silk Conditioner

Conditioner's claims and ingredients
Conditioner's texture (hand lifted vertically)

I actually still own the conditioner bottle because I finished it a bit later as I don't use as much as I did to the shampoo. The picture I posted is actually the last drop of the conditioner. Here are the claims (I took the claim for shampoo at Tresemme's webpage):

SHAMPOO

"The TRESemmé Salon Silk shampoo and conditioner system delivers intense moisture where your hair needs it most, calming frizz and flyaways without weighing hair down. Light enough for daily use, this advanced smoothing system with argan oil cleanses and helps tame unruly hair, leaving it smooth and salon-soft."

CONDITIONER

"Delivers intense moisturization where your hair needs it most, to calm frizz and flyaways without weighing hair down. With the addition of Argan Oil from Morocco, an ingredient known for its nourishing and smoothing benefit, this advanced smoothing system with vitamin H and silk proteins tames unruly hair leaving it smooth and salon-soft."

Ingredients: Water, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Argan Spinosa Kernel Oil, Isostearamidopropyl Ethyldimonium Ethosulfate, Niacinamide, Panthenol, Biotin, Hydrolized Silk, Aspartic Acid, Parfum, Ascorbic Acid, Tocopheryl Acetate, Quaternium-18, Behenamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Disodium EDTA, Polysorbate 20, PEG-9, Citric Acid, Methylisothiazolinone, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Hexyl Cinnamal, Limonene, Linalool.

I am sorry but I can't find any ingredients that is exactly right for the shampoo. I tried searching for it but I think Tresemme actually made a new improvement for this line so the ingredients changed. Back to the review, I actually used both the shampoo and conditioner together always so I decided to give a review on the compilation of both. The shampoo is white pearly in color but slightly runny than the conditioner I've shown in the picture. The texture of the conditioner is thick and when I lift my hand vertically (as shown in the picture) it does not really moved but dripping slightly downwards. The scent for both shampoo and conditioner is almost the same, a slight flowery scent. Although I don't really like the scent since I love fruity scent for my hair products, I still like this Tresemme haircare line. It is in a very huge bottle, a 500ml bottle that actually lasts for two months for me - usage of once a day but the conditioner lasts slightly longer than the shampoo (maybe 3 months?).

When I use the shampoo, it does not really give me the squeaky clean feeling that much and I really liked it. I don't prefer shampoo that strips down moisture. The conditioner is very easy to smooth out on my hair but it is rather hard to rinse it. Its like I can't really wash it off and it leaves a film on my hair that is very silicone-ish? Well most of the conditioners out there feels the same way anyways. What I don't like about this shampoo and conditioner is that it contains too much silicone that it breaks me out on my jawline (because I don't often tie up my hair). The first time I used this, I actually hated it. It makes my hair feels straw like and it is so unmanageable. It tangled like crazy on my first day but I tried to stay cool and keep using. The second day I used this, my hair actually improves a lot! I love to touch my hair and it is so manageable. I even put it in my Shiseido Ma Cherie shampoo and conditioner trial bottle (which is already empty) and gave it to my mum for a try. I didn't ask for her opinion because the last time I asked, she said she is finishing her current shampoo first.

The conditioner is very high in silicone thus I understand that my hair can get build ups from it. So I decided to use Tresemme Deep Cleansing shampoo once a week to remove build ups. This Salon Silk line is actually pretty good. But of course, after a while of using it, my hair tends to become immune to it and it does not seem to work anymore. But I really do enjoy using this shampoo and conditioner because it fulfills my needs to calm frizzy and increase smoothness. To my experience, I think I prefer Pantene Total Care or Herbal Essence Long Term Relationship more - from scent aspect, and much better results (and it didn't break me out). I actually repurchased Herbal Essence Long Term Relationship shampoo and conditioner quite a number of time but this Tresemme, I did not repurchase. Also, it caused me major hair fall.

My ratings:

Effectiveness: ★★★☆☆ (it improves my hair a lot but it contains too much silicone, cause hairfall)

Bottle: ★★★☆☆ (too simple, huge and the 500ml bottle cap is a press cap that opens up to the side which is not easy to use and to hold the huge bottle while pressing it caused the bottle to slide down from my hand several times)

Price: ★★★★☆ (it is quite cheap for a 500ml and it does what it claims)

Long term effect: ★★★☆☆ (average as it does not really do much after quite some time not like the other HG shampoo I used)

Overall, I do recommend this haircare line as it does what it claims. But to be more specific, I think the softness and the good feeling of my hair is caused by the layer of the silicone and thus it depends on you if you think silicone is good for hair. The hair fall I experienced can be caused by my stress but it started since I used this line. I hope this review helps!

Regards

2 comments:

  1. are you still using this shampoo? can you provide any thought on it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello. Apologies for the delay. No, I no longer use this shampoo as I found that this shampoo/conditioner weighs my hair down after prolong usage. On the other note, I'm moving towards organic/natural products for my body and you should too! Hope this clarifies. Thank you for reading! Xoxo

      Delete

 

Disclaimer

All of my reviews are from my honest and genuine personal opinions and based on my skin condition. Some older posts have no watermark until I understand the necessity to put one. I am not responsible for any opposite feedback of usage and please do seek advice from dermatologists. I bought all the products using my own money and I am not paid nor have anything to do with the brands reviewed unless stated.

It's me

Malaysian lady. I review beauty products and this blog made as a hobby. For reference purpose, I have combination to oily skin and I am living in a hot and humid country, Malaysia. Ignore my grammar and typo. Do email me for just about anything: polkalav@gmail.com